The glitter jar craft is super easy to make. All you need is a couple of items you probably already have at home, assuming you have an empty jar, some glue and glitter at hand.
Glitter jars (or calm-down jars) have been used as a mindfulness practice for children and adults for years. When someone is struggling with their emotions, the glitter in a shaken jar is like their thoughts, which like the glitter, calms down eventually.
To me, looking at the mesmerising glitter swirling in a jar is a bit like looking at a snow globe. It is undoubtedly very relaxing.
Materials & Equipment
- Empty clear jar or bottle
- Glitter glue or clear craft glue
- Glitter – various colours and sizes (fine and chunky)
- Super glue – optional
- Fill the jar with water, glue and glitter. Each glue has a slightly different consistency, so I would recommend adding glue slowly, bit by bit, closing the jar, and shaking it to see if the glitter is settling fast enough. If it takes too long, then add more water; if the glitter falls to the bottom straight away, add some more glue.
- Once you are happy with the amount of glue and glitter in the jar, close the lid and enjoy looking at it while the glitter settles down on the bottom. Optionally seal the lid with super glue to avoid messy accidents, especially if using the jar for young children.
If you find this article useful, please share it with others who may benefit from it.
Photos by the Author