Turmeric latte, also known as “golden milk”, is a popular drink that originates in traditional Indian Ayurvedic medicine. It is made by combining milk (dairy or non-dairy) with turmeric (curcuma) and other spices.
Turmeric contains curcumin, which is known for its health benefits: it is a powerful antioxidant, it promotes healthy digestion, and it has anti-inflammatory properties, to mention a few.
In addition to the health properties, a warm and comforting turmeric latte is a great alternative or addition to coffee or tea. Golden milk is a great beverage on its own, but it can also be prepared in advance and used instead of regular milk to take your daily tea or coffee to the next level.
Below, you can find a basic turmeric latte recipe. Feel free to adjust spice quantities to your taste. You can also experiment by adding other spices, such as vanilla, cardamom, cloves or nutmeg, for extra aroma and flavour. You can swap or remove the spices to your liking but keep in mind that black pepper in this recipe is crucial as it helps your body to absorb the curcumin.
Please note that while turmeric latte has potential health benefits, it should not be a substitute for medical treatment.
2 cups milk (dairy or non-dairy like almond milk, coconut milk, etc.)
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Honey or maple syrup (to taste)
- In a small saucepan, pour the milk and place it over medium heat.
- While the milk heats, in a separate bowl, measure out the turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper, and any optional spices.
- Once the milk is simmering, gradually add the spice mixture to the saucepan, whisking continuously to ensure the spices are evenly distributed.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes to infuse the flavours.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Stir in honey or maple syrup to taste.
- Pour the turmeric latte into mugs and serve warm.
Makes 2 cups of turmeric latte or many portions of turmeric milk to be added later to coffee or tea.